Engraved title by Chauveau, engraved dedication to Charles Le Brun, 249 leaves engraved with coins.
Oblong 8vo. Newly bound in tan goatskin, the covers with a blind fillet border and panel, the spine divided into six panels, lettered in the second and dated at the foot, the others tooled with a blind ornament, plain endleaves and edges.
The title and dedication leaf have been closely trimmed at the foot with slight loss, and a few of the plates are rather closely trimmed at the head to just within the plate marks. There is some occasional light browning and soiling but it is a good copy. There is a 2pp manuscript index at the end and one of the plates has a coin added in brown ink into two of the blank roundels. The volume came from the library at Woburn Abbey, though there are now no marks of provenance.
The book illustrates the ancient coins that were part of the collection of Fulvio Orsini. One of the leaves has been printed with two plates, and all the others have only one plate (displaying a varying number of coins). Comparing this copy with the Earl of Pembroke's and William Roscoe's copies it is evident that there were a number of different issues of this book published in 1663.
Stock no. ebc1559
» Contact us about this item