GEORGE BAYNTUN NEWSLETTER

Sign up now to receive our newsletter for the latest news and information.

ANTIQUARIAN BOOK

[BIBLE].

The Holy Bible,

[BIBLE].

The Holy Bible, Containing the Old Testament and The New: Translated out of the Original Tongues, and with the former Translations diligently compared and revised. By His Majesty's special Command. Appointed to be read in Churches.

8vo. [210 x 133 x 69 mm]. Bound in contemporary calf, the covers panelled in blind, plain endleaves and edges (spine perished, covers worn, and held together by crude stitching along joints and through spine).
Cambridge: printed by John Archdeacon, printer to the University; and sold by John, Francis & Charles Rivington, Benjamin White, and Charles Dilly in London, and J. & J. Merrill in Cambridge, 1790

Darlow and Moule / Herbert 1345.

This volume has seen heavy use and the preliminary leaves are soiled and a little frayed and there are marks throughout. The binding looks as if it has been repaired by a cobbler at an early date, but it is in one piece, all the pages are present and some may be intrigued by the method of repair. There is also a partly defective printed notice on the front pastedown headed "A Collect to be used before Reading the Holy Scriptures", being the Collect for the Second Sunday in Advent, with a statement at the foot "This Book was bound at the Expense of The Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, No 5, in Bartlett's Buildings, Holborn, London". There is one copy of this notice in ESTC, at the British Library, which is tentatively dated "1800?"

There is a bold ink inscription at the head of the front free fly-leaf: "Charlotte Addison / House Maid / at Broomfield / the Gift of Mrs Wilberforce". Below this is another ink inscription: "Edward Addison / His Book April 19th 1833", and on the reverse of the same leaf "Edward Addison / His Book / May 19th 1832" along with a Biblical instruction. The name of Sarah Addison has been erased from the verso of the title-page, there are manuscript notes in I and II Corinthians and there is a crude ink sketch of a horse and two heads on the rear pastedown.

Broomfield, on the west side of Clapham Common (the site of the current 111 Broomwood Road), was the home of the politician, philanthropist and anti-slavery campaigner William Wilberforce (1759-1833) and his family between 1797 and 1808. Charlotte Addison was presumably one of their house maids at this time. Edward may have been her son.

Wilberforce met Barbara Ann Spooner in Bath on 15th April 1797 and they married at Walcot Church in Bath on 30th May. Following the marriage he leased Broomfield from Edward Eliot and following Eliot's death later in 1797 he bought the house. The six Wilberforce children were all born there - William in 1798, Barbara in 1799, Elizabeth in 1801, Robert in 1802, Samuel in 1805 and Henry in 1807. Bible reading and family prayers were central to the household's daily routine and the house acted as a focal point for the Clapham Sect. Wilberforce and his friends were involved in the formation in 1799 of what became the Church Missionary Society and the establishment in 1804 of the British and Foreign Bible Society. Broomfield was sold in 1808 and Wilberforce purchased the lease of Gore House in Kensington. He and his wife remained there until 1821, and then made a series of moves until his death at Cadogan Place on 29th July 1833. They remained a devoted couple and all six of the children survived to adulthood, some being more devout and disciplined than others.

Stock no. ebc6133

ยป Contact us about this item

Price: £900

INSIDE OUR SHOP